Sunday, June 08, 2008



My, my, when I looked at the date of the last posting to my blog, I realized just how much time had passed. Somewhere between the time of the last posting and this one, spring happened. Witness the beautiful tree in bloom. Where did the time go?

Not to bore anyone reading this with all the reasons for the lack of posts, I'll summarize by saying that old injuries finally caught up with me and it was necessary to have a couple of surgeries to make me whole and mostly made of artificial parts on the right side of my body...new knee a couple of years ago and a new hip very recently. I'm still healing but can sit at the computer for bits of time so I thought I'd give this a go.

I did a lot of sewing prior to surgery and when I can, will photo and post some of my efforts. I'm always in search of the perfect bag so I spent some time crafting new possibilities.

And I began knitting some afghans. I remember my mother went through a couple of years of knitting afghans and gifting everyone she knew with one. I was delighted to receive one but couldn't imagine taking time to do that much work on one piece. I'm there now...must be some right of passage kind of thing. I've enjoyed doing the knitting and it has been the perfect work for the down time I've been dealing with for awhile.

Here is my first and favorite afghan and the instructions for making one yourself. I got the pattern free on the internet, though it is one that has been around forever. I think it is fair to pass it along in this posting since anyone claiming ownership would have some trouble proving it...hope I'm right.



Feather and Fan Afghan

Cast on 188 stitches using size 9 36" circular needles

Work 6 rows knit each row

Row 1 Knit 3 stitches and place a marker. Knit to last 3 stitches and place a marker (RS)

Row 2 Knit first 3 stitches Purl to last 3 stitches and knit them (WS)

Row 3 Knit 3 stitches, * knit 2 tog 3 times, YO, K1 6 times, Knit 2 tog 3 times.repeat* to last 3 stitches, knit them (RS)

Row 4 Knit all stitches (WS)

RS = right side
WS= wrong side



Summer has hit Georgia without hesitation. It is hot (100 degrees today) and it is humid. I do look forward to getting out and walking but it will have to be early in the day before the mosquitoes and the heat take over.

More on another day.