Saturday, June 09, 2007




I started this posting before the month got going and I got busy with a neighborhood party followed by a nasty cold. Summer colds are the worst, no one can figure out how it happens and since it is rare and the weather is so chipper, there is little sympathy for those sniffling and sneezing the day away. I'm coming out the other side of this thing so I'm back to finish what I started. Read on.....

I'm experiencing a serious absence of ocean views and decided that the only thing I could do was paint some pictures of beach and ocean scenes that I remember fondly.







I took the picture of these kids on the beach in Oregon. I watched them play all day in the surf, picking up stuff, building things in the sand, running around and just having fun. The sun was at a position in the sky that kept their faces in the dark so I painted them that way. I loved that day. Loved watching them and felt that I had to paint this carefully so that the day and the feeling were preserved. I hope I succeeded.

I usually paint from photos that I've taken. Sometimes, as in this case, the photos hang around for a lot of years before anything happens to provoke me to paint them. That's okay, the moment is still there, frozen in time and I can be back in that moment as soon as I start to sketch.

When I was studying art, a thousand years ago, I was told one had to paint from sketches. No one, I was told, no artist worth their salt, that is, ever, EVER, painted from photos. I thought to myself back them, "bull", if Rembrandt had had a camera, he'd have used it, so would Leonardo Da Vinci and the list goes on. I've been vindicated, I think, I notice lots of art instruction books utilizing photos are part of the creative process.

My theory is whatever works is just fine. Any artistic endeavor should provide enjoyment first and foremost and, if that turns into something another wants to own, how nice. If not, nothing can take away the fun of creating the piece.

I have to say that lately my biggest problem seems to be not wanting to part with any of the works I create. That has to change or I'll run out of space in my new studio. I will eventually, I'm sure, fall out of love with some of these pieces as I complete new ones. Then it will be easier to say good-bye to them.





Last, want a quick, easy and satisfying project? Who doesn't? Well here it is.




This stole is so simple. First, I must give credit where credit is due. I saw this stole at this year's Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival. I was browsing in a booth with some of the most beautiful yarn I've ever seen. I was sorely tempted to buy some but kept thinking about all the fiber and yarn I already have and that stopped me. Then I spotted a stole made out of a boucle yarn similar to some I was sure I had at home. I asked the owner of the booth if the pattern was for sale and she said "get some size 13 needles, circulars are nice, and cast on 70 stitches. Knit until the stole is as long as you want it to be, or 60", or until you run out of yarn. No need to buy the pattern".

I figure you need about 800 or 900 yards to make one and it helps if the yarn is lacy and has some texture to it. I did find the boucle I thought I had. I think I bought it in 2000 at Stitches West in Oakland California. It is so pretty and and airy but, it is also warm. Not something one needs when the temperature is at a toasty 93 degrees like it was today in Georgia, but it come in very handy when it chills down here in the fall and winter.

Enjoy.




The picture at the top of this post and the flowers were taken at the University of Georgia Botanical Gardens, located right here in Athens, GA. It may not be the ocean but it sure is a pretty place.