Friday, April 27, 2007


My favorite spinning wheel, the Lendrum Saxony, sits ready to go to work.


When we moved to Athens, GA, in the summer of 2005, it was hot and humid and our furniture didn't arrive for about three weeks. Our neighbors helped us out by gathering up some essentials so that we could live in our mostly unfurnished house until our things arrived. A table appeared, then some chairs. The previous owners left us their sunroom furniture and some lawn furniture too. We bought a little television for the kitchen. I had put together a box of essentials for basic survival...sheets, towels, a few pots and pans and dishes and silverware, just the basics but it was okay. We couldn't really settle in until the furniture got here so it was like being on a long camping trip. Since none of us were interested in camping at that moment, we were all a bit edgy and maybe a touch homesick to boot. It was not the best of times.

I had brought a thing or two to knit but my spinning wheels and all my fiber were on that truck that was who knows where. I was starting to miss so many things about our old home in CA and I was beginning to think the move was a big mistake. I was in a funk. My mood was propelling us all into one large family funk.

One day I decided I had to get out of the house. It was hot, humid and about to rain but undaunted I headed off Watkinsville. I remembered an ad for a yarn store in Watkinsville and knew that a visit to a yarn store would cheer me up. I needed cheering up badly.

I found Watkinsville easy enough and right on Main Street was the yarn store, aptly named Main Street Yarns & Fiber. I parked the car and went in to take a look around. Everyone was friendly, the yarn was yummy and the space was very welcoming. I checked out the front of the building and spoke to the staff and they told me there was even more yarn down the hallway. I made my way down the hall and found another room, a very cozy space with chairs and sofas and yarn and spinning wheels....spinning wheels, my heart skipped a beat. Didn't think I could use them but it was hopeful to see them and to find fiber as well.

I was looking longingly at the wheels when one of the employees, I've come to know her as Tina, walked back and asked if I knew how to spin. I explained that I did but that my wheels were in transit from CA. She encouraged me to grab some fiber and sit and spin for awhile. I did just that and felt so unstressed by the time I was ready to leave that I could have kissed Tina for her suggestion. I was almost back to being positive about the move and it was all due to the kindness of the people at Main Street.

I wandered back up to the front, bought some sock yarn and needles and was about to leave when Ruth, the owner, told me that they had a sweater support group that met every Tuesday evening until 8 p.m. She suggested I come back for it if I could.

I did come back the following evening and met three wonderful women who have become good friends. We rarely miss a Tuesday evening together. New people join the group too from time to time. Some come with questions about a project they are working on. We pool our collective knowledge and try to help out. Others, perhaps like me that lonely day a few years ago, just need to connect with people of similar interests to get their creative juices flowing. We try to help in that way too.

And now the store is about to move to another location in Watkinsville. The surroundings will be a bit different but as long as the people who've made it such a special place are there, it will continue to be a magnet for knitters and spinners in this area and a truly welcoming place for any who stop by.

I hope wherever you are, you are lucky enough to have a place like Main Street in your town.

Happy knitting.





Latest orchid acquisition.